Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Comfort

29 August 2009
The day before I went in for surgery, I was given a Priesthood blessing by my father and a man who used to teach my Sunday school classes. I was anointed with consecrated oil set apart for the blessing of the sick, and these two wonderful men offered up a prayer and a blessing for me. I was told to let my heart be calm and at peace, and that there is a holy purpose at work here. I was told to love my husband and son and to serve them. Most of all, I was comforted as I sat under the hands of two noble, guiding influences in my life. It's hard to describe, but it was a wonderful experience.

I tried to recall the words of comfort as I lay shivering and alone in pre-op. As tears streamed down my face, I recalled a scripture that has always been a great comfort to me. When I was a teenager I found a small card decorated with flowers. It says my first name at the top, and underneath the meaning of my name. Then it gives this scripture.

"...Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."--Joshua 1:9

As a teenager I loved the scripture because we moved a lot and starting over in a new place has always been very difficult for me. This reminder that the Lord is always near me kept my spirits up when we moved during my senior year of high school.

I had lost this little card and thus lost the scripture, but I found it again just last week. I believe that finding that card with that beautiful reminder of the Lord's love for me was a tender mercy given to me by a caring Father in Heaven. I recited the scripture to myself as I waited to be taken into the operating room and I felt more at peace.

Finally, one more thing that gave me comfort were some hymns. Truthfully, they are not hymns I know well, but they were what sprang to my mind when I was trying to think of something besides the pain ahead of me. Even though I didn't know all the words, I still found peace in humming the melody and thinking of the words I did know.

Each of these songs mean so much to me. I hope you will click on the link I have provided and listen to the beautiful music and the incredible message.

"Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain...
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below."

--Be Still My Soul (coincidentally this is the version I listened to just before I was taken to pre-op)

"Abide with me, 'tis eventide!
And lone will be the night,
If I cannot commune with Thee,
Nor find in Thee my light.
...O Saviour, stay this night with me;
Behold, 'tis eventide."

--Abide with Me, 'Tis Eventide

"I believe in Christ; he stands supreme!
From Him I'll gain my fondest dream;
And while I strive through grief and pain
His voice is heard:

"Ye shall obtain."

I believe in Christ; so come what may,
With Him I'll stand in that great day
When on this earth He comes again
to rule among the sons of men."

--I Believe in Christ

I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who is so kind and generous in His blessings. If I hold to what I know to be true, I truly have nothing to fear in life. As long as I follow his teachings, the Lord is with me wherever I may go, and this gives me peace, comfort, and courage.

2 comments to Comfort:

Leslie said...

Beautiful Testimony! Thank you for sharing. You are Loved!

LCannon said...

I love your words of faith