Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

The Great Jelly Belly Incident

02 August 2009
Last Saturday, we stopped at the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield, CA. It was our last major stop on the RV trip (thank goodness.) I'm not really a fan of jelly beans, but my mom was so excited about the prospect of Jelly Bellys in her belly that she could barely contain herself.

After the tour (which I would have found slightly more interesting if my ankle hadn't been broken the day before, just sayin') we stopped in the gift shop and waited for my mom to spend my dad's entire paycheck on jelly beans. Sparrow was standing in his stroller. Momentary lapse of judgment on my part. We were stopped. Sparrow reached out for something--

--and landed on the tile floor, directly on his forehead. The sound was terrifying. Like a watermelon bursting open. Like a skull bursting open. I grabbed him immediately and he cried and cried. He had blood on his face and on his shirt. We never did find out where it was coming from.

I turned to my grandma and said "we need an ice pack." As I was saying this, an employee approached and asked if she could help, if we wanted an ice pack. She went to get us one. Sparrow was so sad, so pitiful. The day before I had dropped him while hiking in the redwoods, and now he'd fallen on his head again. How awful a parent am I?

Sandra, the Jelly Belly employee, came back with the ice pack. We set Sparrow on the counter to try and calm him down. She brought him a plush Jelly Belly, but he wanted nothing to do with it. She brought him a small fan that flashes JELLY BELLY when it's spinning. He LOVED that. She let us keep the toys and the ice pack. She was so wonderfully kind I could hardly believe it. The accident was so obviously our fault, I wouldn't have thought twice if she'd thrown ice at us, called me a child abuser, and kicked us out of the factory.

I am now thoroughly convinced that Jelly Belly is one of the best companies in the world, and I absolutely plan on buying Jelly Bellys every chance I get. Even though the buttered popcorn flavor is disgusting beyond belief.

That is the story of the Jelly Belly incident. Now go forth and buy the beans! But not the buttered popcorn ones.

3 comments to The Great Jelly Belly Incident:

De Anne said...

Poor guy. My oldest daughter did a front flip out of a shopping cart when she was about 2 and I too got to hear that "watermelon" sound. It's very scary as a parent. It's a good thing kids are tough.

I do have to disagree with you about the popcorn jelly belly. That has got to be one of my favorite flavors. I guess I like the unexpectedness of it.

Jeff and Bethany Davis said...

How scary for you and how nice of that lady! Those kinds of things sure are appreciated. I hope it came back to her in a good way! So I take it that Toby's ok?

Darrell and Alissa said...

I love Jelly Belly's - but HATE the popcorn one! What a nice employee to give Sparrow all those little things!!