Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Memories

14 August 2009
We moved a lot when I was a kid; on average we were in a new house every 3 years. I went to 5 different elementary schools, stayed in the same middle school all 3 years but went to 3 different high schools. I didn't mind moving so much until it got to high school. I'm still a little bummed even now that I didn't get "the high school experience"; that the school I graduated from is the one I spent the least amount of time at. Granted, if we hadn't moved during my senior year I wouldn't have graduated with my Associate's Degree at age 17, but it's still a little sad when I think of all my friends in Florida and my other high school in Northern Utah who I won't see at reunions and such.

Anyway, when I was 10 we moved to what was my favorite house. It was a split level in South Ogden. My parents and brother and sister all had rooms upstairs. Then there was the main level with the living room and kitchen. I lived in the basement all by myself. It was awesome! I loved it. I loved that it was quiet and private. It was cool year round (I like being cool). It was my cave, my lair. I spent three important years of my life in that room and I think about it often.

By the time I was 16 we had moved 10 times. Sheesh! Hawk, on the other hand, only moved once the whole time he lived with his family, and he was 2 years old at the time! He only remembers growing up in one house. I can't even imagine that. I would go crazy living in the same place for so long.

In 3 years of marriage, Hawk and I have moved 3.5 times. We moved to our married home together, moved to Arkansas and back, and then finally to this house. Sparrow, then, has moved twice already in his short life. Hawk is adamant that we will be staying in Utah for at least 10 years... but he didn't say anything about staying in the same house that long!

Have you moved a lot? Do you like it or hate it? Do you still live near where you grew up?

2 comments to Memories:

Mama Michelle said...

We only moved once when I was a kid, and I was only one. My parents still live in that same house, which I love! In my adult life I have lived in five or six places. I don't really like moving around, but I do what I have to.

LCannon said...

I've always thought that moving would be great - perhaps not as often as you did though. It highly depends on the circumstances however. Are you moving because you want to, your expanding, or because the economy forced you into it? My parents house was okay. The houses I've been in with my husband have both been smaller. I would like to move to a larger house with at least two working toilets and a human sized tub. I would want to move to an area where my daughter would have more friends. I'd like to move because we can afford it