Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Adoption...

21 September 2009
My best friend, Dove, had a baby on Thursday. She had a fast labor (4 hours) and was able to have a home waterbirth. Baby Turtledove is a gorgeous, perfect little girl.

And I am so jealous.

I'm very happy for them, but I am so jealous. I don't know if I've ever felt so at odds with myself before. I want another baby. Words can't express how much I want another baby.

Previously, Hawk and I were against adoption for a few reasons. I am partially adopted and my parents had two biological kids after me. I always felt like the odd one out and like I was treated differently than my siblings. I'm sure they feel that I was treated differently because my parents loved them more while I feel just the opposite. My siblings are half Latino and it's weird growing up in a family being the only white kid. I didn't want to put any child of mine in that position. Would it be even harder being the only black/Latino/Asian kid in our family? I've read so many things that say yes.

If we adopt, we'd want to be matched as soon as possible because Hawk and I don't want Sparrow to remember being an only child. The window there is closing quickly - while my grandma insists that people don't remember before their 10th birthday, I have memories as early as age 2. Hawk does as well.

But we have no control over how quickly we'd be matched, and there's the question of if any adoption agency would even accept us with my health problems. And the money. Oh the money. Granted, Sparrow cost $70,000 when all was said and done, but we didn't have to come up with it up front, and we only had to pay $6,000, which we're still chipping away at.

Adoption scares me. But if it will take away the nagging feeling that someone is missing from our family, I am willing to try it. Most of the time. Sometimes, I'll admit, it's very nice to be just the three of us. I guess we'll see.

2 comments to Adoption...:

Jim Manning said...

Ok ... two small "food for thought" items:

1. Your experience may not be either an imperative, or even the norm. How to put this nicely? I think the various individuals and circumstances involved with your childhood situation may have heavily lent to it's "uniqueness"

2. (and you can kick me later for doing this) why don't you listen to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkU4Nrj5tG0

Marel and Tom Stock! said...

Remember me? I'm adopted. And my parents treated me the same as my biological sister and I thought I was special and fit there just as much as she did. I vote adoption. It's a blessing!