Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Welcome to my home

03 June 2010
When we first moved to Utah, we lived in a dark, dreary apartment under some very VERY loud drunken stompers. Hawk and I didn't realize how depressed we were there until we finally got out. There was no natural light in our apartment, it was very small and cramped, there was a major street just outside our door, and it was loud. We hated it. We lived there for a year, and barely survived. On May 31 of last year, we got the keys to our townhome. We signed a year lease. I don't think there has been a single day in that year that I have not woken up and been grateful and happy to live here. Every day I search my soul and just feel peace about my home. The rent is a little steep, and we aren't within walking distance to anything, but I love our quiet neighborhood, I love the church we go to, and I love our home. Sparrow and Hawk love our home too.

Yesterday we renewed our lease for another year. We had considered moving to Provo since I am going to school there in August, and rent is soooo much cheaper and there's plenty of things within walking distance there. But every time we thought about packing and moving... it hurt. So we are here for another year, and I am ecstatic! We have lived here for one year and three days - and it's the longest we've ever lived in one place since we got married in December 2006. We've set a record!

To celebrate my home, won't you come on a photo intensive tour with me? I considered cleaning before I took these pictures, but decided that then I wouldn't be an authentic blogger. So this is what my house normally looks like on a day-to-day basis, although usually with less clutter on our kitchen counter because it drives me nuts.

IMG_0025
This is our home. You can't see it very well, but I put vinyl lettering on our door that says "Peace be unto this house." Or something like that.

IMG_0021
This is what you see from our front door.

IMG_0024
A close-up of my fireplace/mantle area.

IMG_0027
My messy kitchen area. I really like how the kitchen and living room are all one big room. It's nice to cook while Sparrow plays in full view.

IMG_0023
Sparrow likes to sit at our table and point out the pictures of different family members.

IMG_0035
This is one part of our view. On a clear day (this is not) you can see Salt Lake City, and even all the way up to Ben Lomond, a mountain in Ogden.

Let's go upstairs now.

DSC02006
Sparrow's room.

IMG_0029
The other side of Sparrow's room. The empty picture frame is eventually going to have pictures of family in it; I just haven't gotten around to developing them yet.

IMG_0033
The Master bedroom. Look - I didn't even do my laundry!

IMG_0031
The other side of our room. We have a master bath that hooks on and a HUGE walk in closet. Our bathroom is smaller, but our shower is enormous.

Time to go all the way downstairs to our basement.

IMG_0020
This is our laundry room and the cat's room. It's the biggest room in the house. What you don't see is the Rubbermaid storage boxes stacked two deep and four high on the left wall. We have all our food storage down here too - now that we are staying here for a year, we can fill our 55 gallon water storage bucket!

IMG_0019
This is our family room. You can see Hawk's messy desk over there.

DSC02051And this is our entertainment area.

IMG_0018
The basement closet which I converted into my sewing/craft room. I really like having my own space to keep all my crafty crap. A bathroom hooks onto this room, so I don't have to go upstairs all the time. I am nothing if not lazy.


And that's my house - probably more than you ever wanted to know about us too! Here's to another awesome year in our awesome home. And maybe here's to a slightly cleaner year as well :)

9 comments to Welcome to my home:

Jeff and Bethany Davis said...

How nice to have such a lovely home! And good grief, that was messy? Come visit me! (But call first, so I can clean. :)) No wonder you didn't want to leave!

Love it!

Valerie said...

Cute house! Thanks for the tour...and I love the new blog layout.

FluffyChicky said...

Your house is great! And lady, if you think that is messy, then we have to have a talk... :)

730A_ngelinaRabideau0 said...

你的部落格感覺很棒,nice job!........................................

EdmundoK_黎 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。..................................................

Cindy said...

How lovely--I wouldn't want to move to Provo either! And I must say, in 25+ years of sewing I've never actually sewn my finger....

cindy baldwin said...

Gorgeous! After you have your slightly cleaner year, would you like to come clean my house too?

柏WallaceD_Garbut信WallaceD_Garbutt1031 said...

好熱鬧喔 大家踴躍的留言 讓部落格更有活力........................................

jenontheedge.com said...

I *love* your home! Seriously, architecturally, it's right up my alley, plus you decorated in my favorite color scheme. Not to mention, the whole place looks so warm and inviting.