Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

17 August 2010
Sparrow has had a death wish the last couple of weeks. He's pushing and pushing and pushing and testing his limits and boundaries as hard as he can. It has not gone well for either of us.

I mean, it's been constant. The screaming, the whining, crying, hitting, throwing things, disobeying in a defiant snotty little way. Ooh that is what gets me the most - "Sparrow, we don't throw our toys. Please pick it up." He smiles and backs away, watching me.

Yesterday all the way to the library we repeated the Library Rule together: The rule in the library is quiet in the library! No screaming, no yelling, no throwing. The rule in the library is quiet in the library..." Of course two seconds after we get into the library he starts to scream and throw things. We checked out as fast as possible and he didn't get the train book he had thrown across the room. And that night he looked at me and said "The rule in the library is quiet in the library."

He also constantly repeats "no screaming, no yelling, makes Mommy sad."

After a meltdown in the store today, I am seriously considering never leaving the house again. I am so sick of parenting. This has been going on for two weeks and I am ready to give up and move to Alaska. Or put him in a box and mail HIM there.

5 comments to :

jenontheedge.com said...

This is normal for this age, I promise.

One school of thought is that you remove the screaming child from the situation as soon as the tantrum commences -- as a way to teach a lesson that he/she will not get the fun thing (trip to the library, park, etc.) if he/she throws a hissy fit. My concern with that is, how long will it take a smart kid to figure out that it's also a great way to get out of doing something/being somewhere they don't want to be (e.g. church, the grocery store, visiting grandma at the nursing home, etc.)?

When my girls were that age, I offered incentives, such as, if they were well-behaved in the grocery store (and I clearly delineated what well-behaved meant), then they could pick out something special, such as Pirate's Booty or their favorite granola bars or chocolate.

Once they get a little older, you can tie the behavior to something that's a bit more distant, such as good behavior in the store in the morning means an extra book at naptime or an hour of Dora the Explorer before dinner.

Good luck!

Marel and Tom Stock! said...

oh please move to Alaska! Celia gets to go to bed when she does those things. Grumpy kids are tired kids. So I tell her...

Bethany said...

We are in the exact same boat. Hitting, pushing, kicking, banshee screaming, the whole shebang. Poor Katelyn is getting the brunt of it too. I AM GOING CRAZY! I really don't know what to do and it's really wearing me down. I want to just send him to Alaska and get him back when this horrible phase is over. At least I'm not alone.

If you figure out how to deal with this, let me know.

Valerie said...

Uh...I'm going through this with my 9 year old! Only, I think the phrase he is learning is "you are going to drive me to drink!". Just sayin'. :)

We live in a Zoo! said...

I think we all have our moments like that. Find something funny in it and laugh instead, it makes it easier ;D