Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

The greatest mission is motherhood.

21 September 2010
So let's be honest, there are days when family life is a pain in the butt.

And then there are days when it's the best thing ever. It's kind of like ...life... with bipolar disorder. Hey, I'm a genius.

So, the other day, as I was browsing random blogs, I came across Tale of Our Quest. One of her first entries is about this book she read in college, called "Strengthening Our Families." It's a textbook that basically digs deep into The Family: A Proclamation to the World, and gives ideas for how to really accept the principles and teach them to your family.

Basically, it's incredible. I have renewed it from the library twice and I'm really hoping to get a copy for my birthday in (yikes) a month. As I've read it, I've tried to share the things I am learning with Hawk. We don't talk as much as I would like to about this kind of thing, and this book has kind of been a no-pressure, non-threatening, non-pushy way to talk about church and our family and how we want to do things in our home.

And you know, I just really love the Proclamation. It came out when I was 8, and I kind of made it through my entire youth without ever really noticing it, but since I've become a wife and mother it's been a comfort and a guide in my life.

My mom, upon finding out she was pregnant with me, was talking to her stake president one day and expressed her regret that she wasn't able to serve an LDS mission. The stake president told her, "Anna, the greatest mission is the mission of motherhood." I'm grateful for that wise old guy. I've regretted my decision to get married instead of serving a mission, and whenever those thoughts arise, those words soothe my restless soul.

Anyway, here is the link for the Family Proclamation. You should read it - it only takes about 3 minutes, and it's worth a glance at least.

Here's a couple of great blogs that are having a month-long celebration of the Proclamation.

7 comments to The greatest mission is motherhood.:

Valerie said...

I love the Family Proclamation! I have some great FHE lessons that go along with it...and I can't wait to check out what the other gals are blogging about. Thanks for sharing.
Life with bi-polar...exactly!!!

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

What a wise stake president! Motherhood really is the greatest mission and has the most impact for good.

Karen from Tale of Our Quest is amazing. I love reading her insights and thoughts about everything!

Thank you for spreading the word about our Family Proclamation Celebration. We have had tremendous guest writers posting their thoughts.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

That is good, wise advice. I need that book too...my birthday is next month as well! happy birthday! :)

Naomi said...

love your thoughts - motherhood sure is a mission - a long eternal one and full of trials and blessings - so thankful I get to serve it! Naomi

Katy B. said...

Thank you for this! Reminded me why over ten years ago i left my mission early to go home and get sealed to the man of my dreams. The only difference between serving a full time mission and getting married is that you get to choose the companion you serve with. :)

Hilary said...

We've been using the "things for a sucessful family" as our FHE ideas for the year. I'm a huge fan.

I love all the proclamation love as of late!

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

Just wanted to let you know you won the vintage inspired apron being given away on my blog last week. Please e-mail me your mailing info so I can get it sent out to you!

chocolateonmycranium{at}live{dot}com

CONGRATS!