Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows review

18 November 2010
(Part 1 obviously)

So, Hawk's work sent us to see Harry Potter tonight. I haven't even been out of the theater for half an hour yet, that's how much I love you Internet peeps and how much I wish to tell you of this movie.

First off, I was highly concerned after hearing rumors of a nude scene. These rumors scared me but as it turns out, it wasn't too bad. No full-on nudity is present, however! There are 2 parts where we see naked-but-for-underpants Harry, including a scene where Harry is wearing a bra (not kidding.) There is also a scene with Harry and Hermione getting "passionate" and neither of them are clothed. That part was totally unnecessary and made me irritated, but it lasts for about 15 seconds.

Now that that's over with. Let me just say one thing:

THIS IS NOT A HAPPY MOVIE.

This is a VERY depressing film. The book is too, but at least at the end of the book there's closure and everyone goes on their merry way. Here it's, "see you 6 months kids!" By the way, this is not a movie I would take a child to. Maybe if your child has read the books and is a mature 10 year old. Maybe. But there's the aforementioned passionate scene, and there's also very scary and intense images throughout the film. Hawk is terrified of snakes and had a very hard time handling the numerous snake-jumping-out-at-you scenes. There was also a scene with spiders. Ew.

I was impressed with all of the actors and I think everyone did an amazing job. I do wish I had read the book before going to see the film, as I haven't read it since the night it came out and did a skim job then. I will be reading it before part two is released for certain.

I don't remember the Snatchers from the book at all, and I really hated the scenes with them. It's like they tried to make the main Snatcher a Captain Jack Sparrow rip-off, and it was lame. I rolled my eyes many, many times. Oh well.

It's hard to say if I liked it or not. I think it was well done (though seriously, I could have done without seeing Daniel Radcliffe's "harry" chest ha ha I made a funny), and I'm not sorry I saw it. It was just really... dark. I would go see it again, certainly, but I would wait until the hype dies down because yikes the theater was scary packed tonight.

David Yates is by far my favorite Potter director. Three cheers for him. I am looking forward to Part II in July!

Disclaimer: I was not paid to write this review, I did it out of the goodness of my heart. I'm also not awesome at writing reviews so take this with a grain of salt. I mostly just wanted to clear up the nude scene confusion. I haven't read the book in depth so I'm not qualified to say how well it matches up with that. And while I enjoy the other characters, the main trio is what I am most interested in, so the fact that everyone else gets very little screen time didn't matter much to me.

2 comments to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows review:

Allison said...

Kris! You wrote a very good review! I agree with all of it!

Well. Most of it: I guess this proves how much of a masochist I am because I LOVED how dark it was. I don't know - in any story, the worse things get for my heroes before the "grand finale" the more invested I am in their plight. Call it the Tolkien effect. Things have to get BAD. And yeah, the stakes felt so tangible in this movie - all three main actors were so good at making you live through it with them. I was mighty impressed.

As for the passionate scene - yeah, that is definitely in the book... even a description of their bodies "entwining". ;] And everyone in my theater LOL'd when Harry decided to... erm... go swimming. Meanwhile, I thought he was FREAKING CRAZY AND SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN HYPOTHERMIA TO PUNISH HIS CRAZINESS.

Those are my brief sleep-deprived thoughts.

K La said...

I liked it. I also like your review!

I'm surprised at how well those actors did; they did great! good for them!