Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

30 Days of Truth: Day 17

24 January 2011
A book I've read that changed my views on something.

I don't really have a book, per se. Well, I do, but the only reason I know of the book is because of a blog that I started reading. The Lazy Organizer. Oh man, Lara cracks me up. She is so funny. I think we could be friends in real life. Her kids are beautiful and awesome and you know why they are awesome? Well for lots of reasons, but also because of the changes Lara has made in her/their life.

I've been reading her blog for about a year, going back through most of the archives and I just caught up to the present two days ago. Lara homeschools her kids, but a while ago she discovered Charlotte Mason and her educational method and posted about how awesome it was and how everything was changing for the better. Well, I was intrigued.

I never considered homeschooling Sparrow. The most I've thought about it is planning on sending him to private or a charter school, knowing that since he's our only, we can afford it. But after reading more about Charlotte Mason, reading her books, reading blogs from moms who use her methods, reading about classical education/Thomas Jefferson education, holy crap guys. This is the real deal. This is what school SHOULD be. This is the education I SHOULD have gotten.

So I have been reading Charlotte Mason's works and also "Thomas Jefferson Education" and "A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion." I love it. I love what I am learning about these educational models. I am so excited for Sparrow to someday be in Scholar phase, or having him work with a mentor.

Don't get me wrong, I will likely still send him to regular school. At least for a little while - I want him to have that experience, and I also think it will be good for him to learn to relate and be involved with kids his own age. But I plan on sending him to a school that uses either CM or TJED methods. I've found a couple in my area and I am planning on touring them soon. Even if I can't send him to one of these schools, I plan on implementing lots of this stuff in our every day after school life.

Seriously, I owe Lara a lot. I would have never heard about this stuff if not for her and I am so grateful. I haven't felt so excited about learning - about education - in a long time. I'm not just excited for Sparrow, I'm excited for me! All this stuff I am learning is teaching me that I can learn EVEN MORE and you know what? I guess I thought my learning days were over since I'm out of school, but now I know better. I can give myself the education I should have gotten. Boo. Yah.

I will be attending the TJED Conference in March and I can hardly wait! If you are going to be there, let me know, I would love love love to meet you!

Here are some of the blogs I have been reading/subscribed to because of their TJED/Charlotte Mason/homeschooling awesomeness. Some of them might not be strictly about the educational styles but I have stuck them all in my RSS reader under "TJED & Such"

For more information about Charlotte Mason, visit: Simply Charlotte Mason

For more information about Thomas Jefferson Education visit: the official website

Being a Mother Who Knows
Chocolate on my Cranium
Gentle Art of Chaos
Mrs. Smith
The Cottage at Pollywog Pond
The Tale of Our Quest
TJ Ed Mom for Liberty

0 comments to 30 Days of Truth: Day 17: