Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

30 Days of Truth: Day 23

30 January 2011
Something I wish I'd done in my life.

Did I mention I wish I'd graduated? Ha ha. Okay how about this -

In 2005 I went to London on study abroad. One week, we went to Edinburgh, Scotland. We were told not to go out alone, but other than that we didn't have direct supervision considering it was me and a bunch of 20 somethings (I was 18 at the time.) For some reason, I got a hotel room to myself while everyone else had to share. All I wanted to do in Edinburgh was go on a ghost tour of the Edinburgh vaults. That was the only thing I *had* to do. Nobody wanted to go with me, so I said to heck with it and i went out on my own at night. I think it was St. Patrick's Day but I can't remember for certain.

It was scary, but awesome. I was nervous walking back to my hotel alone, but really, everything went fine and nobody even knew. Or so I thought.

The next day, we left Edinburgh and stopped somewhere for a bathroom break along the way. As everyone was boarding the bus (they call it a coach over there), my professor pulled me to the side and proceeded to chew me out in front of every single person there - how she was thisclose to sending me home, and how blah blah I actually don't remember anything she said because I was busy standing there trying to look at stoic as possible.

I don't regret what I did.

But I do regret what happened the next month. We went to Paris for 4 days. On day 3, my mini-group was getting ready to go to the Eiffel Tower. I felt so sick I didn't know if I could go. So I asked my group to take me back to the hotel. And there I stayed for the next 5 hours. Because I had been yelled at the prior month, I was too chicken to leave the room. If I had been braver (or really, realized that my professors wouldn't have sent me home with less than a month left on the program) I would have left when I started feeling better and gone to the Eiffel Tower by myself. At the very least I should have opened my hotel room door, so if I saw anyone else from the group I could have left with them. But oh well, hindsight being what it is... yeah.

So I wish I had gone up the Eiffel Tower when I had the chance. I know I will some day - but I'm bummed I didn't do it when I was in Paris the first time.

I also wish I'd worked harder. At everything.

And now if I don't go take a nap I'm going to wish that I had.

1 comments to 30 Days of Truth: Day 23:

Stephanie said...

You were such a rebel! I had no idea! :)