Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

30 Days of Truth: Day 9

15 January 2011
Are you getting bored of these yet? I am. Just a little.

Someone I didn't want to let go, but just drifted away from. <--bad sentence structure.

I had a great group of friends in 2005-2006. Dove and I lived in a little apartment we dubbed the Krayola Box (Krayola is a mix of our first names.) We were involved in BYU's science fiction/fantasy club, Quark. Yes, we are geeks.

Anyway, through that club, we made a tight circle of friends. Brad, Miriam, Matt, Sarah, Pratt, Hawk, Dove and me. We always had plans, we were always doing SOMETHING crazy. It was a blast. The best part was when Hawk and I started dating. Hawk and Pratt were roommates, and Pratt started dating Dove, so we were roommates dating roommates. We had so much fun that year. I was never bored, there was always someone to hang out with or someone to talk to.

In June of 2006 it started going south. Pratt went home for the summer and he and Dove broke up. Sarah left permanently and as hard as I try, I can't find her. Brad and Hawk had some mini-fights. Dove and I had several fights. We left the Krayola Box in August of 2006 and I moved into a house with a couple of strangers. In December, Hawk and I were married. We had the group (or what remained of it) over a few times, but it was always complicated because Dove and Pratt weren't on speaking terms so if we invited one we couldn't invite the other. Hawk and I moved to Pleasant Grove, which is about a half hour away from Provo and all our friends.

I miss that group. 2005-June 2006 was the best time of my life. I have never felt so comfortable in my own skin and so loved. Now I have some fabulous friends, and Dove and I are besties again, but oh it was so amazing back then. And living with Dove was fantastic. You really don't know what you have till it's gone.

Pratt and I are still friends, but we're very distanced from each other. It's hard to hang out, too, when you're married. I took Pratt to lunch about a week after I married Hawk, and an accordion player came over and wanted to play something romantic for us. It was really awkward. Ever since then I've made a rule to never hang out alone with a member of the opposite sex.

I do love Pratt. I think of him as my big brother. He was there for me when I had no one else. He's an amazing guy and his wife is very lucky to have him. I miss him though.

Today we're going to Provo to take Brad to dinner for his birthday. Most of the original group is gone - Dove moved to California, Matt and Miriam moved to Montana, Sarah went to Virginia. Brad and Pratt are the only ones left in Utah. We'll go and it will be a fun dinner and I'm looking forward to hanging out with Brad, but a little part of me will always ache for the years where we were really close.

1 comments to 30 Days of Truth: Day 9:

Stephanie said...

You're getting bored with this? I love it! I love reading your responses!