Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Comedy of Errors

22 February 2011
You know, when stuff gets really bad, and it all seems to happen at once.... it makes me giggle. Because what else can I do?

If one thing goes wrong, I rail and shake my fist and am mad. But if 3+ things happen, it's hilarious. And only if it happens to me, so nobody worry that I laugh at misfortune. It is... misfortunate.

Yesterday I had a doctor appointment with my OBGYN. If you'll remember, I had a tubal ligation in August 2009. Well, ever since then I have had cramps. Bad cramps, like, scoop your uterus out with a spoon because that would be preferable to the pain cramps. I take a prescription painkiller daily because of them, but I'd rather just be off the meds and off the cramping. I've been trying to get a doctor to listen to me for 2 years about this, and finally someone did. I did an ultrasound to rule out anything dangerous -

- and as an aside, according to the ultrasound technician I have "beautiful ovaries. Just gorgeous. Those ovaries are absolutely beautiful." That's a compliment I've never heard before, but I'll take what I can get.

Anyway, the ultrasound showed nothing, and the doctor was worried about that. She says the likely culprit of the pain is scar tissue, and my options are either do nothing, or have another surgery. I can either do another tubal-like surgery, where it's an outpatient thing, but then the scar tissue might grow back. Or I can do a hysterectomy. I'm leaning toward the latter, because bleeding monthly is really depressing when you can't have any more babies anyway.

So after that thrilling visit, I took Sparrow to the mall because my phone had been having issues during the weekend. Another aside. This phone is a model I had back in 2005. It is my favorite phone of all time, and I have owned about 7 models. I specifically went on eBay searching for this phone and found one in great condition and bought it, it has worked great since November.

So I take it to T-Mobile, and the guy says "it's probably the SIM card so let's switch you to a new one and you will be good." Hooray! So he switches my SIM card, gets my data erased on the old one... and... my phone won't open. It says it is locked and needs a code. To his credit, T-Mobile man tried everything to get it to open, including spending 30 minutes on the phone with Customer Care and Nokia. At this point, I had to leave, but T-Mobile man said he would keep working on it and I said I would be back in an hour.

I was very late for a party honoring Sparrow, with no way of calling my mom and letting her know what was going on. And I didn't know for sure where this party was being held. I wish I could have counted how many times I thought "I can call Mom/Hawk...oh wait, no phone."

I made it to the party, miraculously, and told everyone the sad story of my dead phone. They all thought it was amusing. Rude. My mom offered to watch Sparrow while I went back to the store, so I took her up on it.

T-Mobile man informed me that because my phone is so "old," it can't support new SIM cards. They don't make the old ones anymore. So now my beloved favorite phone of all time is dead beyond ...life. I could have cried. Currently I am not under contract with T-Mobile, and I didn't want to sign anything without Hawk, so T-Mobile man gave me an old store-owned flip phone to borrow for a week or so. I hate it.

I went to Verizon and waited an hour for them to tell me that it would cost $90 a month for their cheapest plan as opposed to T-Mobile's $50. I'm going with T-Mobile.

After the stressful day, I decided I had to go to Krispy Kreme. There's one in Provo where my mom lives, and that's where I was anyway, plus I had 3 coupons for free donuts. So I picked up Sparrow and we went to Krispy Kreme's and the hot light was on, meaning free donuts with every purchase! Hooray!

45 minutes later we finally made it out of Krispy Kreme. That was a nightmare, and I should have just left, but I was desperate for my sugar fix.

We got home around 8 p.m. Poor Hawk was at work till then too. Sparrow went to bed, I nibbled the donuts (which turned out to be YUCKY and STALE), threw them away, and went to console myself with Zuma Blitz on Facebook, only to discover--

my [computer] mouse is dead.

When it rains, it pours. And I laugh till I cry.

RIP Little Nokia Phone. You will be sorely missed.


3 comments to Comedy of Errors:

Bethany said...

Wow, what a day! At least you can laugh about it. Good for you. I may have just cried my way through the whole day.

And just a side note. I know you're probably not looking for advice of any kind, and I'll support whatever you choose, but I want to tell you stuff my mom has learned. Take it or leave it. :)

My mom had a hysterectomy after her last kid. Then she started having serious hormonal issues. She went to doctors but a) felt they didn't really know what they were talking about and just hypothesizing and b) didn't trust them. She started doing her own research about the female endocrine system. This was about 10 years ago. Now she thinks that most doctors have no idea what they're talking about. She has been on different hormone medication since then and it took about 6 years of serious issues to figure out which meds she needed and how much. And this was done pretty much without doctors, since they were of no help.

Anyways, the point of the story is that she would tell you to definitely keep your uterus! She has learned that the female body needs to have regular periods to keep it balanced and when you take that away, bad things happen. And having a uterus is important for hormonal balance too. She has recommended my sisters and I not go on birth control that limits how many periods you have a year. The fewer periods you have on a certain type, the worse it is for your body. So although periods suck, it would be better to have them and keep the uterus and go with the tubal one.

Anyways, I just really wanted to tell you this stuff just because I felt it would be unfair of me not to, as your friend. But now that I did, you can do with it what you want, and I won't say another word!

I love ya. I hope you don't have another day like that for a looong time. (I would say forever, but with a boy toddler, we both know that's impossible. :))

jenontheedge.com said...

Good grief, what a day!

I hope the rest of this week is better for you.

Leah said...

What an awful day! Hope you get feeling better soon.

I had a day like that once. I can't really remember what all happened except some horrific meltdown with both kids at the mall, spilling something all over myself, and running over a bird on the way home and watching him struggle for life in my rear view. I cried.

Good luck making the surgery decision. That's a really tough one.

Wanna go out sometime? I'd love to go get a coffee and watch you make funny faces at it. :)