Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Schedules and the lack thereof

10 February 2011
I have been trying to get on a decent schedule. Basically right now, Sparrow and I sit around the house all day and by the time Hawk gets home we are all at each others' throats. It does not go well. I would like to fix this.

Last week I started going to bed early (for me.) Like, at 11. Sometimes 10:30. I woke up for 4 days in a row at 7 a.m. It was fabulous. Sparrow was just waking up, but would mostly lie in bed not making any noise, so I could shower and do my morning scripture study and prayer. I prayed a lot to not kill Sparrow and to be able to make it through the day. It worked.

Then the weekend happened. I was STUPID and I stayed up til 4 a.m. on Friday night and till 2 a.m. on Saturday night. Now I am back to going to bed early (ish) - last night I didn't make it till midnight - but I can't for the life of me wake up. I am tired all the time. I wake up around 10 and I drag through the rest of the day, longing for sleep, until it gets to be about 9:45 and then ZING! I am so totally awake! I never have to go to bed! Sleep? Lame.

No. I do not want to be this way. My whole life I have been a night owl. I don't want to be. Sure, studies say that night owls are smarter and live longer, but the world is made for morning people. My kid is a morning person. I want to be able to get up at 6:30, shower, study my scriptures for a half hour, study something else important to me for a half hour, get ready for the day, etc. I want to have quiet time before Sparrow starts haranguing me. Here's hoping that if I am consistent about going to bed earlier, I will start to wake up earlier too. Please?

Also, Sparrow and I are joining a gym next week. I am excited, but nervous. I don't really want to spend the money, but I think we need to for a number of reasons. Ready?
  • I will get exercise in at least 3 times a week (theoretically)
  • The gym has childcare, meaning I can have up to 2.5 hours to myself 6 days a week
  • The gym offers martial arts classes, something I have always been interested in
  • The gym also offers water aerobics, which I want to try (and water yoga, and water running, and all sorts of water sports)
  • AND this gym offers swimming lessons and Mommy and Me water fitness classes. So Sparrow can take classes with me!


And this gym is closer to our house, it will get us out of the house without going somewhere lame like the mall, Sparrow will get to interact with other kids on a daily basis instead of sporadically, we will get to see how he interacts with other people in authority positions... because Sparrow has been super, super defiant lately. Like, I am going to mail you to Bali and I hope I don't see you again till you are nice defiant. It's been bad. Hawk and I are both a little concerned, so we figured we'd start out with this gym daycare and see how he does. Truly I think Sparrow just knows how to tick us off, and he'll do well with other adults in charge, but I'm not sure. So we'll see how this works out.

After I get my mornings going, I will work on a daily routine. Routines are awesome. I want one. I have a lot of stuff to do and no time to do it. Wait, no, I have lots of time, I'm just not motivated enough. dang it.

1 comments to Schedules and the lack thereof:

jenontheedge.com said...

Going to bed early is going to take some discipline, but it's a good thing to do. Eventually, once the boy goes to school, you'll need to be a schedule anyway, so this is a great way to get started.

I love that you're going to the gym. It's going to be great for the boy to play with other children while you're getting your exercise, which is going to be so awesome for you.

I don't know how much you guys read, but have you thought about taking the boy to story hour at the library? It's a chance for him to be around other children while you browse the books.