Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Wordful Wednesday: National Women's Month

02 March 2011
Chocolate on my Cranium gives out awesome topic assignments every week but this is the first chance I've had to actually complete one. The topic this week is awesome women in our past.

Well let me tell you. I don't know much about my ancestral-women, but I know that the last 3 generations have been full of awesomeness.

For example, my great-grandma was one fascinating lady. Her name was Violet, but everybody called her Bunny. When she was a little girl, around 8 years old, her family moved to Albion, Idaho, which has fluctuated between 8 and 60 people in population. That doesn't count the tumbleweed, just so you know. The family rode in a buggy and it took a looong time to get there. Bunny had just gotten a beautiful white Persian kitten, and snuggled it constantly. At some point during the journey, they stopped off at a farm. The residents looked kind of poor and the farm was pretty shabby. Bunny held her white kitten close. A little girl came up and started petting the kitten. "I have a kitten too!" she said. She ran off and came back a moment later with a "sore-eyed cat." Nobody is really sure what that means, only just that it was an ugly, ugly little kitten. Well, my great grandma asked the little girl to trade, and left the Persian kitten at the shabby little farm. She was one amazing woman. She passed away in 2001 and I still miss her sometimes. I'm just grateful that I had 14 years to get to know her.

My grandma is pretty much the coolest person I know. Her husband passed away in the 70s, leaving Grandma with two daughters, ages 6 and 8. Grandma went back to school and became a teacher so she could support her family. She eventually got her Master's Degree as well. She worked her butt off for 30 years and gave her girls all sorts of neat experiences that other women might have dismissed as unattainable. She helped my mom raise me and I used to go spend every Friday night at her house (mostly to give my parents a break from me!) After I had Sparrow, Grandma flew to Arkansas to take care of us for 8 weeks - she ordered me not to clean a thing and spent the entire time deep-cleaning, organizing and interior-decorating my house. She is amazing. I love her guts and she is an amazing role model for me. She was recently called as the Relief Society president in her ward and she truly gives her all in her calling and is trying so hard. I am so proud of her.

My mom is also one of these fantastic women. She had me at age 19 and was the only one in her "young single mother" support group to not adopt out her baby. We lived with my grandma and aunt until I was 2 or 3, while Mom finished getting her degree. Mom married in 1990 and had 2 more babies. She worked as a kindergarten teacher for 10 years before going back to school to get her Master's in ...something... and became a Guidance Counselor. So not only did she raise her family, make time for her husband, and hold a full time job, but she also went to school full time and was active in her church and community. She insisted that we have dinner together as a family every night and for the most part, we did. She put up with 3 moody teenagers (not all at once though) and guided me through getting my Associate's Degree while I was in high school. She recently graduated with her Doctorate degree in Administration after doing all the schoolwork in about half the time as it normally takes. She is now preparing to send my little brother on a 2 year LDS mission to Paraguay and has offered to take care of Sparrow while I am recovering from an upcoming surgery. She also opened a special school 5 years ago that is an "early college high school" and she often hangs out with senators, governors, legistlature type people, and goes to charter school conferences often, so she can make her school and her students' experiences better. Whew.

I have a lot to live up to in terms of awesomeness! I am so grateful for the amazing women in my family. I love them and learn from them constantly. I hope someday my granddaughters will be proud of me the way I am proud of my grandmothers and mom.

1 comments to Wordful Wednesday: National Women's Month:

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

You are right - you come from a line of strong powerful women!