Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Cat proof your deck for less than $20. Woot!

16 April 2011
We have two cats, Bamboo and Panda. Panda, unfortunately, is dumber than a stump. I would very much like to leave our glass door open so that Sparrow can go in and out onto the deck, and so the cats could go out there too, but every time I let Panda out on the deck he would jump off, land on his face, and cry at the basement door to be let in.

P1020783

Yeah, he's a moron. Pretty, but stupid.

So here's what I did. I went to Lowe's and bought some plastic netting for $13. Then I bought zip ties for $1. Then I zip-tied the netting to my deck. That part was easy.

The problem was getting the netting hooked to the deck itself, so that the Stupid One couldn't climb underneath it and attempt to fly again.

P1020785

One borrowed ladder, 3 near death experiences and 15 nails later, the cats were able to go out on the deck without supervision for the first time. Panda, as expected, poked at the netting and tried to get out, but he was thwarted. He glowered and yowled for a few minutes but finally decided to just chillax.

It was a good way to spend a Saturday.

P1020784

6 comments to Cat proof your deck for less than $20. Woot!:

Bethany said...

Wow, way to get your innovation on! Good thinkin'. Take that, cats!

Stephanie said...

That's a really good idea! I had to do that for my dogs when they were puppies. The spaces in the fence were wide enough for them to slip through. It's kind of a pain but if it makes our animals happy, it's worth it :)

Mrs. Small House said...

oooh me likey!

Nice view!!

The Writer said...

Nice! Come install our linoleum next?

whatmissfoxythinks said...

You are a genius!

Morgan -Ing said...

Very nice. I ought to do this for my kids who fall off our deck...