Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

LDS Scripture Rock review and video

02 February 2012
So, Sparrow was asked to share a scripture in Primary last week. He was assigned 2 Nephi 2:27, and the version they gave him was abridged, but I didn't see that until it was too late. For the record, if you teach him something (like a scripture, or a story) and try to abridge it later, there will be tantrums and tears and anger.

Earlier this year I bought a CD with 25 scriptures set to music called LDS Scripture Rock. It is intended for high school seminary students learning their scripture mastery. I bought the Book of Mormon version because I remember my seminary teacher back in 2003 playing the songs for us and I still remember those scriptures and the tunes!

So I was frustrated when the CD I bought was not the CD I remembered. I like the CD well enough but it is a little weird. The words are not always clear and easy to understand, which I find frustrating because I specifically bought this CD for Sparrow to listen to. And if he can't understand the words, what's the point? This is the debate that I go through in my head, because I was considering getting the Old and New Testament CDs, but I don't know if it's worth it.

For what it's worth, Sparrow does like the music and he did memorize the scripture in about a week. But 2 Nephi 2:27 is also one of the clearer sung songs on the CD, so who knows what results we'd have had with anything else. So I can kind of recommend this CD if you want a fun way to teach your kids scriptures. As long as you are listening too and correct and explain when they get the lyrics wrong, heh.

I'm sure this CD is probably helpful for all ages, but I do wish it didn't take itself quite so seriously. The singers all sing like...they're serious. The CD I remember had a sense of humor - they knew they were being a little cheesy but they didn't mind, and that made it fun. This one is just a little awkward because they're trying to be all American Idol-esque and it gets painful.

So I'll keep you posted if we decide to get the rest of the CDs. You can listen to samples at the website too. In the meantime, here is Sparrow reciting 2 Nephi 2:27, which is kind of a long scripture for a brand-new 4 year old to recite in front of a large room of children! (He didn't need an ounce of help either, wow!)

3 comments to LDS Scripture Rock review and video:

~Kimi~ said...

Okay, I listened to the samples on the website. Barf. When I was in seminary, the scripture mastery songs were set to the tunes of primary songs, and were not orchestrated. So much better!

Kestrel said...

Primary songs! That is GENIUS. So much better than the cheesy "rock" ones. I'd say someone should market those but I guess the Primary songs are probably copyrighted.

The ones I grew up with were so bad they were hysterical. 3rd Nephi 11:29 (the contention one) had a guy singing with evil laughter in the background. It was basically the best thing ever.

Mrs. Small House said...

love the idea. too bad it's flop!