Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

33 Random Things About Me

20 April 2012
I was really bored the other night while we were watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer so I decided to write 33 random things about myself. Enjoy.

  1. Most of my days either start or end with a small existential crisis. Sometimes, just to change things up, I have an extra one in the afternoon. For funsies.
  2. I never in a million, billion, trillion years thought I would ever get married. I begged my roommate to date Nate (yes, the rhyme was often repeated around our house) and even after he started dating me I asked him several times if he would rather date her.
  3. I had 13 hours of induced labor, a C-section with no painkillers afterward for several hours; I’ve broken my arm and hiked 8 miles with a broken toe. But the worst pain I have ever been in is when my eardrum burst during my pregnancy. I live in absolute terror of ever getting an ear infection again.
  4. I do not get celebrity crushes. If I get a crush, it’s on the character, never the actor...
  5. ...And I get totally weird crushes, where I wish I was the daughter of X character. Right now my “parent crush” is Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But any “parent crush” I get will always be eclipsed by my great desire to have Qui-Gon Jinn from Star Wars adopt me.
  6. I have written 3 novels, which all suck…
  7. …and a children’s book which does not suck, but will likely never be published. And I’m too lazy to self-publish it other than selling random copies I have lying around.
  8. I am consistently amazed that I have managed to keep a small human being alive and relatively healthy for four. years.
  9. Because prior to Toby’s birth, I had maybe two hours’ worth experience with infants/toddlers.
  10. I can raise both my eyebrows, raise/arch one or the other, and basically make all manner of wiggly-eyed expressions with mine brows.
  11. I met my oldest bestest friend in a Star Wars chatroom when we were 12. We didn’t physically meet till we were 16. Our relationship is so awesome it’s almost ridiculous.
  12. I attended four different high schools in two different states.
  13. My family moved 10 times before I turned 16, including two moves across the country.
  14. Because we moved around so much when I was a kid, I feel compelled to move around a lot as an adult. Luckily Nate is around to remind me what a pain moving is.
  15. My single biggest regret is dropping out of college after I got my Associate’s Degree. I was a scared, burned out 17 year old with Serious Issues, but I so wish I had stayed in school.
  16. I’m kind of a huge dork, and on the one hand I can own my dorkiness. But on the other hand, I overanalyze dumb things I do for years after the fact.
  17. I struggle severely with social anxiety and depression and am thankful every day that I have access to medication which allows me to live a normal life.
  18. But on the other hand, that medication which has cured me, has also caused my writing to stop. I miss being a writer, but I’d choose living over writing any day (though someday I want to learn how to do both at the same time.)
  19. My favorite TV shows when I was a teenager were: MASH and The Golden Girls. I was a total dork and had no idea about current trends/popular stuff.
  20. I LOVE that my mom and grandma are so young (we are 19 and 40 years apart, respectively.) Part of the reason I had Toby at a young age was because I didn’t want to break that 20-ish year chain.
  21. I would love to move out of the country, but I want Toby to be as close to his Nana as I am to my grandma, so we are staying put for now. This is also 80% of the reason we moved back to Utah.
  22. I am ridiculously attached to my cats. I may mock them until I turn blue, but I can’t imagine life without them. Which is a little lame, I admit, but these two were my only friends for 7 months while I was home-bound in Arkansas. We’re tight.
  23. I have learned to play 3 of the 4 instruments I’ve always wanted to learn. I’m just barely starting on violin, and someday I’d like to learn flute.
  24. I feel OLD. I think Toby stole my brain cells because I swear I used to feel smarter than this.
  25. I have always wanted to learn German, but I think at this point I’ll settle for getting anywhere near fluent in Spanish.
  26. I can’t imitate a British accent ever since I lived in London. I just get totally embarrassed.
  27. I hate how I look with long hair and even though I’m sometimes tempted to grow it out, I’ll probably never be patient enough to do so.
  28. I struggle with an eating disorder which I was stupid enough to start on my own, thinking I could beat it or that it wouldn't affect me. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
  29. I didn’t meet my dad until I was 19. And yet we are so much alike (in personality, sense of humor, etc.) it is eerie.
  30. I am a little jealous and intimidated of my siblings because they are turning out to be such cool, intelligent, spiritually awesome, fascinating human beings. I kind of wish I had been half the awesome they are when I was their ages. Plurals are starting to confuse me here.
  31. One of the proudest small moments of my life is when I was 16 and I made my mom laugh till she cried. My mom is HILARIOUS and is one tough nut to crack. Even to this day, if I can make her laugh, I feel awesome.
  32. Nate is the best thing that ever happened to me. If I hadn’t met him, I probably wouldn’t be here today. Small existential crises aside, I love my life and I love my family. Even though we’re all ridiculously stressed at the moment. Together, there’s nothing we can’t face.
  33. Except for bunnies.

The last one is a blatant reference to Buffy :)

3 comments to 33 Random Things About Me:

Mrs. Small House said...

It's do or die. hey I've died twice.

Kestrel said...

I...I...think I love you.

Angela Noelle said...

I hold hormones responsible for my crises -- hormones can make a dented compost bucket seem like the world is ending. It's enamel, and pretty.

On the other hand, they can lead to babies, and babies are pretty great.

Loved this post.