Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Eternity is a long time.

07 June 2012
IMG_0536

Our sealing happened!

Pause for emphasis.

Is everyone else shocked? Because I am. It's been so long in coming I wasn't sure if it would actually happen or not. As Hawk and I sat in the temple waiting for our guests to arrive, the time seemed to stretch out before us. Would we be trapped in the temple forever? Would my stomach continue to growl and disturb the rest of the temple patrons? Would we ever see Sparrow again? Was my best friend ever going to arrive? Were there enough seats available for our guests?

Because, you see, my dear friends. I did a stupid thing. When we made the sealing appointment, I told the temple we would have 50 guests. I have a huge family and we also have bazillions of friends who we wanted to share the moment with. But when I addressed my 50 invitations, I addressed them all to "Family" or "Mr. and Mrs."

Pause for emphasis.

Meaning that we could have had over 100 people show up.

So if you didn't come yesterday, THANK YOU. YOU SAVED MY BUTT. Phew!

Everyone was so kind and wonderful. The temple workers were all so excited for us it was hard to be reverent and not dance around the altar. I had 9 ladies come up to me and say a variation of "oh, your son is so beautiful! When I heard there was a little boy in the nursery I just had to go see him and I can't believe how adorable he is!" To which my response was "yes, he's very cute or he wouldn't have survived this long." They thought I was joking. Ha, ha.

Everyone kept asking us if we were nervous. Nah, we've been at this marriage thing for a long time. Have we ever not been married? Those were dark days indeed. If by this point Hawk doesn't know how to handle me, we're in big trouble. But I think he's got the husband thing down. I'm glad I snatched him up when I did.

We had a good representation of our ward, our friends, and our families. How do I put this nicely? Thank you, families, for not feuding in the temple. I was very nervous that there would be blood or swear words, but you all behaved yourselves. I had been assured by both sides that "We Are Adults, We Know How To Behave," but after the debacle that was our wedding, I had doubts. Thank you for proving those doubts wrong. Also, I only cried once that my two missionary brothers could not be there. I miss them both and wish they could have attended but they both refused to swim/walk across continents to get here. Rude.

Our two witnesses were Bishop Smart from our old ward, who has helped us in our quest to get to the temple. He has been an amazing help and support and I am going to miss him terribly. Also, Bishop Smart, if you ever want another kid, you could adopt me. I promise to brush my teeth and put away my toys nicely.

Our other witness was a very special man who will always hold a place in my heart, Bishop Lunt. He is the bishop who was in charge of Hawk and my student ward, and he is the one who married us. I only got to say 3 sentences to him yesterday, but I was reminded of what an amazing person he is and how much I love him. It has always been my hope that he would be able to attend our sealing when the time came and I was so thrilled when he said he could make it. Hawk and I decided that it would be perfect if the two bishops that mean the very most to us could be involved in our sealing somehow, and that is why we asked these two wonderful men to witness for us. Thank you, gentlemen, from the bottom of my heart!

Sparrow behaved about as well as I expected. Our temple clothing threw him off, as did the 30 pairs of eyes staring at him as he walked into the room. And seeing his Nana and Papa and Grandmas and Grandpas and Aunts and Uncles and Primary teachers and not being able to go attack them with love. He survived but barely. At least there was no outright screaming. I did warn the temple workers that he is on the autism spectrum and needs a little extra help. (I hate telling people that because I still feel like it's the wrong diagnosis and so a lie, but it's the best thing we have at the moment to help people deal with him.)

The day itself was beautiful. It's like God special ordered the weather just for me. Everyone else was freezing (it was about 60 degrees) but I thought it was GLORIOUS. So much better than 95 degrees. We did not get very many good pictures (at least not on my camera). They all turned... blue. I'm not sure why they are blue, but they're blue. But I am going to play around with them, and possibly make us all go back with an Actual Photographer sometime in the next 2 weeks to get decent pictures of us at the temple because I want to. So there. I am a little bummed we didn't get any big-family-group-party shots, but again, family feuds. I'll just Photoshop you people in.

This morning I woke up confused. What was missing? We've moved, gone on vacation, packed, unpacked, packed, unpacked, repaired toilets and sinks and flooding basements, decorated houses, built furniture, taken family portraits, sent out invitations, gone to the temple for my first time, been sealed together as a family forever... now what? What am I going to do with my life now? Where is the stress? Where's the motivation to do stuff, to get it DONE?

And then my washer broke. So it feels a little more normal around here now. Off to go wash my pants by hand.

IMG_1043

6 comments to Eternity is a long time.:

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

You have me in tears! I am SO HAPPY for you! What a wonderful thing to experience.

To infinity and beyond! :)

De Anne said...

I could not possibly more happy for you. What a beautiful journey you have been on and will continue on.

K La said...

They turned out BLUE? Grrrr. I should have taken back-ups with my iphone! Oh noes!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations you three!! I'm so happy and excited for you :)

Heather said...

YAY!!! What a wonderful thing for your family! My family was sealed when I was twelve and it's one of my most treasured memories. (I smiled at the part about your son -- even at that age of 12, the temple clothing threw me off a little, too :))

The date you picked is so cool, too! Congrats!

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.