Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Sparrow's new room

21 June 2012
I have been playing with our new house, tweaking pictures here, pictures there, furniture rearrangement, etc etc. I finally, finally finished Sparrow's bedroom! He is thrilled - he's been harassing me to put up the pictures for weeks now, but it was complicated to get the pictures all lined up straight and I am lazy.

But now it's done! Hooray!

Here is his new room:

IMG_1151

His room is very long and skinny with tall, slanted ceilings. It was already painted this color when we moved in, and we were not allowed to repaint. The bed is an IKEA Kura bed, which originally looked like this:

I painted it Bittersweet Chocolate with a bristled brush, which makes it look like it's the actual color of the wood grain. I then used scrapbook paper cut down to fit on the blue panels, and Mod-Podged it on. I love how it turned out!

IMG_1153

The map is HUGE. It's 6 feet wide! I got the vinyl lettering from a mall in the store and we placed it on there carefully last night. It was hard, but I think it turned out great. I am planning on getting some crown molding from Home Depot and cutting and placing it on the sides of the map so it looks like a frame. Eventually I might also put pictures of missionaries we have had in our family over different countries (Sparrow has two uncles in the field right now, one in Paraguay and one in Australia.)

The bookshelf is an IKEA Expedit. He has bins of pajamas, underpants, socks, and a toy bin. The shadowbox on the wall is the outfit he wore when he came home from the NICU, his baby bracelet, his name tag that was on his incubator, the two pictures I had of him till I got to meet him for the first time (he was 3 days old before we first met), and a Valentine the NICU nurses made for him.

IMG_1155

I ordered these adorable pictures from this seller on Etsy. I fell in love with them the first time I saw them. Sparrow loves them too!

IMG_1156

IMG_1157

Here is his south wall. It has two large windows, but luckily this map fit perfectly. It might be kind of weird having two maps on the wall. This is the one I found at Women's Conference this year; it has every temple in the world on it, including ones that are currently under construction. I bought it from the BYU bookstore for $6, but there is a website here where you can buy it or find out where it's sold near you. Sparrow loves to look at it and tell me he is going to Hong Kong, China on his mission. (I don't know where that came from.) The bookshelves are IKEA Bekvam spice racks, painted Bittersweet Chocolate to match the room.

IMG_1159

Here's his closet. We hung the organizer up to give him an opportunity to help with laundry! He also has his growth chart, which I love because it moves with us wherever we go, and his picture of the temple and of Christ.

And there you have it! I love how it turned out. It's my favorite room in the house right now. I just think it all came together perfectly. Happy sigh.

Edit August 31, 2012: I updated Sparrow's room just a little bit - we finally got the "picture frame" up over the map! Check it out here.

10 comments to Sparrow's new room:

Michelle said...

This looks great! :)

Cassi Renee said...

I think it's fabulous! And you can never have too many maps :-)

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Such a cute space!

Kourtne said...

I love it! What a great way to change the bed!

Caroline said...

It looks great! And I LOVE maps. My boys have a few in their room. ;)

Angela Noelle said...

Oh, so much work and thought. I love the IKEA spice racks for books (am I right? or similar?) -- we don't have IKEA here, so I am green all over reading your post. The room looks great. Love that you've chosen artwork for both its aesthetic and its meaning.

Josh&Sharsti said...

love the new room! ps we did swim lessons at the draper pool

Jocelyn Christensen said...

oh MY! I love this room! You did such an awesome job! And the map...how cool is that! I'm so glad that you showed me!!!!

Amanda said...

I don't think two maps is odd at all! My son loves maps; he'd be thrilled with them!

Jenn Nielsen said...

Where can I get that LDS temples map?! It's amazing! Please, please tell me if you know of a website or something I can find it on. Thanks!