Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Blessings of Integrity

22 August 2012
I wasn't going to post about this because I don't want to seem like I'm boasting or tooting my own horn or whatever. But it turned out to be a good story so now I'm going to toot away.

A few weeks ago, we were out of money and we had about a week until payday. This happens sometimes, and it's not usually a big deal, but this time it was because we had run out of most of our food storage. I mean, we are so blessed and have a nice house and electricity and air conditioning and we have canned soups, but you know how it is. Sometimes canned soup only goes so far, right? And Sparrow was mad because he wanted milk and eggs.

So anyway, I sat down to read one of my library books and as I opened it up, out fell $10 in cash. What! (I immediately flipped through the rest of my library books to see if I could find any more money. Then I re-opened the first book to see if maybe it was spontaneously producing cash. No luck.)

So that $10 bought us bread, milk, eggs, and my allergy pills. Yay! And we made it to pay-day a little more comfortably and everyone was happy.

Now, if that were my $10, I would have felt bad about losing it. So I went to the library and asked the librarian if she could look up who had the book before me. She did, and I gave the librarian an envelope with the money and a little note for the patron. I said something like:

I found your $10 in this book. I know it's an inconvenience to lose money, but in this case it was a huge blessing for my family. Thank you so much, and here's your money back. Love, Kris

And I figured that was the end of it.

Today I went back to the library to pick up some holds and the librarian came over. First, she yelled at me because I guess one of Sparrow's library books got water-damaged. Crap. Then she says, "the lady whose money you returned came in last night and asked me to watch for you. She gave me this card to give to you, and said that if you ever need a friend, her number is in there."

I took the card out to my car and opened it. This beautiful woman had enclosed a $25 gift card to Walmart. She writes: "I haven't been able to stop thinking about this all week. I had completely forgotten about that $10 and you could have just kept it! But I wanted to thank you for your integrity," and she signed her name.

Wow. What a nice thing for her to do! It's kind of neat to be rewarded for doing the right thing, but really I just returned her money because I'd want someone to do the same for me.

And here's the thing. Money is getting tight again, and so this $25 will really help out. We just paid our tithing on Sunday and I still have such a hard time doing that - the Lord is truly pouring out the blessings when I follow His commandments. I just have to remember to trust Him and it will all work out in the end.

And someday we will be done paying off our $75,000 son and money won't be such an issue anymore! Yay!

3 comments to Blessings of Integrity:

J. said...

What a beautiful story.

Mrs. Small House said...

I got teary. I've missed reading you, but I'm trying to ease back into the blogosphere :)

Stephanie said...

That's awesome! You should write an article for the Ensign about it!!